So I finished Jeremy's seahorse quilt before the end of August, but just haven't managed to get pictures taken and posted. I made time to do so today. When I wrote about it last, he'd had me paint onto the partially-quilted surface - a new adventure for me. I then quilted in the water, using multiple shades of blue threads in the painted areas, and a slightly blued white thread in the unpainted parts of the background. In keeping with his preference for all things shiny, all of the threads were shimmery and glittery. I also added some hotfix crystals for "bubbles". I satin stitched the edges and couched a single frame of a multihued fiber (perfect for this little quilt, with blues, teals and browns) around the outer edge.
I brought it to Jeremy, showed it to him, and asked him if he liked it. Those of you who read this post are probably shaking your heads right now, thinking "she'll never learn." Sure enough, Jeremy did not agree with me that the piece was complete. He looked at it for a few minutes, told me how much he loved the paint and the crystals, and then informed me that it needed another row of the fibers along the outer edge, just a little bit apart from the first one.
"No, it's fine as it is", I insisted. It looked complete to me. But he turned on those baby blues of his and I added another row of the fiber. And I have to admit, that while it was just fine with one fiber border, the second border really added definition and set off the piece better. And here it is:
And a detail shot of the seahorse on the bottom:
So I moved onto the original piece I had intended to make before this little side trip. It is a beach-themed, mixed media piece called "Live in the Current".
The 3 main panels were cut from felted wool, in shades of blue, green, and purple, that was needle felted directly to batting. After the felting was done, I hand-stitched a variety of fibers on the top, and did some embroidery as well. I fused the needle felted sheet to timtex to give it some stiffness, added backing, and did light machine quilting to give additional texture. I then cut it into three panels, and did a double-layer of satin stitch in a variegated thread to finish them off.
The "library cards" are digital images by Katie Pertiet (Library Card Collection: Seaside) that were printed onto background fabric that I made in Susan Brubaker Knapp's class in June. The background fabric was painted with very dilute Lumiere paint, and it glitters slightly. I batted and back them, then stitched outline stitched the critters and the lines of the index cards with Monopoly thread. I inked the edges for a little more definition, and attached them to the felted cards with small clips.
The background has the same seahorse and seaweed used in Jeremy's quilt on the right, as well as a shell on the top-left corner. These were stenciled with Shiva paint sticks. I used two of the images from Katie Pertiet's Beachy Clusters to create the layers and cut stencils. I used a Silhouette America cut file to create a stencil for the seaweed.