I spent the week after Christmas cleaning out my office/studio and closet. The "closet" is a huge, 10x10 foot space with built-in shelves along one wall. I use the shelves to store my fabric stash. Two of the walls are only half-height, as the roof slants in and, short as I am, even I can't stand up at the wall edge. The rest of the space is storage for various art supplies, gift wrap supplies, and anything else that needs a home. It is also Christmas central. And by the time Christmas was over, I literally couldn't even walk into it. Now it is beautifully organized, and I've set up my desk in the center for all of my painting/sketching endeavors.
In the cleaning and sorting that went on, I found several UFOs - "unfinished objects" in quilt-speak - in various stages of completion. One of them was a 6-block, fusible applique sunflower top, about 15x20 inches. Last week I got it batted and ready for quilting. I did FMQ around the sunflowers, and once again used the faux piping binding technique I wrote about last time.
As I was quilting it, I was trying to decide what to do with it, when I remembered that a cousin had mentioned his wife's love of sunflowers and had asked me if someday I'd make a sunflower quilt for her. Voila! Perfect solution. Last weekend was gray and dreary, and working on this quilt was a bright and cheerful escape from the gloom. I hope she will find it as bright and happy as I did!